Penance Priest

Discipline Priest Blog

Cataclysm is coming

No matter where you stand on the changes to priests, or any other class for that matter, rest assured that Cataclysm will be a huge upheaval. We’ll have at least one more go-to spell (the return of Heal, filling the gap between Flash and Greater). We’ll have Power Word: Umbrella. And of course, Life Grip. Those are just a few key abilities, to say nothing of an entirely new way to play: how we manage mana, how the encounters are designed, how we will be affected by larger health pools, how we navigate a new set of stats on gear, etc.

If you think back to the time period before WoLK dropped — probably around summer ’08 — we had the same tingling sensation, knowing big changes were coming. This is the calm before the storm.

Other than airy rambling, what I’m saying is this: enjoy yourself. Our spec is mature, well-defined. It’s not perfect, and it’s certainly not perfectly balanced. It has come a long way, as have we. Enjoy the comfort of playing something you know and love,  knowing that change is around the corner. Almost like spring semester as a senior; let’s make the best of the time we have before the Cataclysm, when we will have to relearn, well, not quite everything, but a whole lot.

The expansion is probably six months away. And for many of you, there’s a lot to do between now and then. Not so much for me. It’s already feeling like it’s winding down.

The guild

I haz none. The group I joined in December turned out to be, how shall I say: a very bad match. I gquit after we killed the Lich King in March. There are no compelling options on my server at the moment, which leaves me in a bit of a pickle.

For now, WoW is pretty easy mode for me, since pugs still don’t usually get very far. I don’t see apping across realms to be a good idea at the moment, so I’ll hang out until the big reset this fall, and in the meantime, have fun pugging with smaller friendly guilds.

And yes, I do look forward to ten-man raiding. A lot.

Specs

Ok, because I’m in limbo, I decided to play around with my spec. Why? Because our role as discipline is polarized. In 25-man content, we do little more than bubble bot. And in 10-man content, we can’t bubble bot; there just aren’t enough bodies to bubble. Instead, we do it all. You might call it tank healing, but really, it’s man-handling the entire raid.

 So? What about it? Have a look at a spec I’m playing with. This is all in the context of the above section: I’m not doing much hard-mode content, just playing around as an overgeared, 15%-buffed mercenary priest.

I’ve dropped some talents that are borderline useless in 25s (Grace, Improved Flash Heal), filled up on my GH potential (omg 5/5 Divine Fury and 2/3 Improved Healing) and PoH potential (Holy Reach and the glyph), mainly for 10-mans.

If you’re doing hard modes, you should be ignoring me about now.

The moral of the story? If you’re overgeared for content, boosted with a 15% gimme buff, and feel like futzing around, now is the time.  I’m enjoying some creative tinkering with no particular goal in mind, and no pressure to min-max myself to perfection.

On the move

On a more personal note, I’ll be moving next month. Across the country, to a new city, where I know few people, starting a new job. So it’s definitely the end of an era for me personally. My playtime will be affected, as will my blogging. Don’t be surprised by periods of inactivity! There is less to write about nowadays, and with the move coming, my attention will be elsewhere. Once I land, the process of starting a new life will take precedence over fantasy-game escapism. Hang tight though, I’m not closing up shop.

About the name

Since I snuck into random territory, I thought this would be a good chance to introduce the original Paolo. I’ve had numerous people in-game ask me if I’m named after this-or-that Paolo from real life. (Actually, they ask me if I really AM this-or-that Paolo.) I suppose that’s the price for picking a toon name that is very common in the world-at-large. I suspect DethBludXXNite does not get the same treatment.

The inspiration for the name comes from Mary Fahl, who is one of the bestest, most beautifulest singers around. I was listening to her music a lot back when I started this guy. Her EP Lenses of Contact has a song called “Paolo,” and while it’s not her best song, the name was in the right place at the right time, and it stuck. Her earlier band, October Project, is even better.

Instead of linking “Paolo” here, I’ll give you “Breathe,” a taste of her “coming soon” DSoM tribute record. Enjoy!

(5) Comments

  1. 5/16/2010 4:05 PM Sinespe

    "Across the country"? Not good enough, Paolo. Get across this ocean and come play EU.

    Good luck, my friend. I'll miss you during your periods of absence.

     
    5/17/2010 1:50 PM Anonymous

    I am curious, what made the guild a bad match?
    Good luck on the move and the future, in game and out!

     
    5/20/2010 11:53 AM Unknown

    I'm just enjoying making fun of your sparkle pony ;)

    <3 Fuu

     
    6/01/2010 10:20 PM Anonymous

    On the topic of tinkering with specs, I'd like to find someone to toy with one I've been thinking of. I believe that 25 man bubble-bots would actually benefit from spirit gear and going deeper into the holy tree.

    I have no spirit gear to play with though. Know anyone who wants to be a guinea pig?

     
    2/19/2021 8:15 AM Unknown

    Trigonometry calculator can help teach mathematics is solved by &, Triangle calculator is intended to clear up and also instruct
    trigonometry at the easiest way possible. It is also the very popular among. All Utilities are yields measure by step explanations
    for all its calculators. A correct triangle is, It is represented by a right triangle with math fields in their destinations. All
    math fields support using exponents, radicals, pi, multiplication, division, and decimals. To earn a triangle translation, input
    just two values using just one having both negative and pat on the button. After roughly two minutes values of loading time,
    Trigcalc displays the precise worth of angles and all lost sides in the mathematics disciplines with all the ways to every value
    below. The oblique triangle works at a way that is comparable. It utilizes a different group of formulations to calculations and
    may display just two answers. Additionally, it doesn't rotate. Another popular is its angle. Even the coterminal angle has been
    displayed with a dropdown option list requesting either the negative or favorable angle coterminal having a certain angle in
    degree or radian sort. Tapping on the button and after selecting from the option list, yields decimal approximation, the price,
    and also calculation course of action for the coterminal angle. Identity calculators include energy decrease, 50% angle, double
    angle, amount difference, amount into product, and also commodity to amount. Calculations demand a identity, a given radius, a
    ratio, and also confirmed function. The solution comprises actions and tan2u involving sinu in one may be used to detect tan2u's
    specific value. While it is not quite as popular Sector is very useful. Sector calculations have math fields and a sector image .
    Sectors demand two worth as at one being angle or radius and offer each of values. It also enables one to swap. The work
    calculator gives you the ability to get the worth of functions given any respect. A solution is returned by each function.
    Supplementary angles are angles whose amount equals one hundred and eighty levels. Supplementary consumes one angle in degree or
    radian form and transmits back the corresponding supplementary angle with is only one hundred and eighty minus the significance.
    Complementary angles are angles whose amount climbs around ninety amounts. By returning ninety minus the specified significance
    with worth and steps complementary works similarly to the supplementary. For every specific significance in Trigcalc, a
    approximation is likewise available. Each one the decimal approximations have sixteen digit accuracy ex 5.9718346348117407. The
    trigonometry calculator is geared for precision and simplicity.
    Triangle Calculator

     

Post a Comment

Posts from resto shammies & holy pallies will be promptly deleted.

Just kidding :)